Post It's- Our Family Happenings

All about the Post Family- Steve, Kat, Jessica and Izzy

Friday, May 22, 2009

Isabella's NICU Stay

Mommy nursing you, your NICU bed, the pink "kiss" on your face from where the tape held your feeding tube in


You were only 11 hours when the nurse came in and woke us all up to take you the NICU. You had rapid breathing rates for the past few hours, and once the nurse had finally been able to talk to the neonatal doctor, he had said it would be best to bring you into the NICU. Along with the rapid breathing, they were also concerned that antibiotics had not been giving to me in the time that they were comfortable with for my Strep B.
It was 4am, and since we had just finally fallen to sleep I felt like it was a dream. I burst into tears when I realized what was happening, but knew it was for the best. Daddy took you to the NICU while I cleaned up a bit. I cried as I walked the halls to the NICU. It is just so unnatural to have someone take your baby away! They had put a feeding tube in you because they were worried that you may inhale any milk you got while nursing because of the rapid breathing. They were trying to put an IV in you for your antibiotics that you needed because of the Strep B. They were having trouble finding your veins (I think you get that from me) so Daddy and I left the room to not distract the nurses. We stayed with you for a few hours, and then they told me that I should go get sleep and pump some milk while they monitored your breathing. Daddy stayed with you and I went back to our room. I pumped but wasn’t able to sleep- I was so worried about you! Daddy came back at 7 when the nurses were switching shifts, and told me you were doing better. They were going to call when you were ready to eat. I was so happy that I was able to nurse you!!! They still wanted to observe you and make sure everything was ok, but it was looking positive that you would be out soon. The neonatal doctor told us he thought there had been a small tear that caused the rapid breathing, but it was so small it had already healed itself. Your breathing had returned to normal. I came in every few hours to feed you, and daddy and I would switch. At 6pm that night we were able to take you back to our room! You had to stay at the hospital for another day to get the rest of your antibiotics, but you were healthy JThough it was only 14 hours, it was hard and scary for your Dad and me. I can only imagine how hard it is for parents who have to leave their children at the NICU for months. Those nurses are definitely very special people! We were happy that they took such good care of you, but even happier to have you back with us. Two weeks later as I write this you are almost 11 pounds, happy and healthy baby. I love you Izzy J!


2 Comments:

At 8:10 AM , Blogger justem said...

I'm so sorry you guys had to go through this!! One of my biggest fears was that Miri would end up in the NICU. I can only imagine how hard it was for you to send her there. Glad everything is okay now though! 11 pounds!!!

 
At 9:46 PM , Blogger Robin Baker - The Blessed Hippie said...

wow. sorry girl. I tested positive for the first time and am not looking forward to the meds...since I'm a bradley birther too. Your story helps me to know that it will all come out OK though

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home